Hold the phone… It’s been 20 years since we were blessed with one of the top rom-coms of the 90’s, 10 Things I Hate About You. Before Mean Girls owned the ‘quote board’, 10 things was the most quotable, influential, pop-culture film of it’s time. So whether you’re overwhelmed, underwhelmed, or just whelmed with this milestone, we’re taking you down memory lane and reminiscing on all things 10 Things I Hate About You!
Hop On Board The Nostalgia Train, Here Are 10 Things You Didn’t know about 10 Things I Hate About You
1.Julia Stiles who played the main protagonist Katarina Stratford, actually cried when performing her 10 things poem. Yep, those were real tears people. Only one take was taken of the scene and Stiles’ crying and running out of the room was completely unscripted.
2. Love-struck student, Cam, played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt learns french in the film in an attempt to impress his love-interest Bianca. Fact - Levitt can actually speak fluent French in real life.
3. Heath Ledger, who played Patrick Verona, was originally meant to perform the Partridge Family’s ‘I think I Iove you’. Thanks to the wonderful wiles of Julia Stiles, who suggested he perform ‘Can’t Take My Eyes Off You’, we now have the epic musical number we all know and love.
4. The title of 10 Things is actually inspired by real life events. One of the screenwriters, Karen McCullah revealed that the title came from her highschool diary. ‘The title is based on a diary entry I made in high school,” she explained. “I had a boyfriend named Anthony that I was frequently unhappy with. I made a list called Things I Hate About Anthony.’
5. Josh Hartnett and Ashton Kutcher were both considered for Ledger's role as Patrick. Thankfully our boy Heath got the gig!
6. The red car Kat drove in the film, a red Dodge Dart GT, actually belonged to Heath Ledger.
7. According to the 10th Anniversary commentary by the cast, Heath Ledger and Julia Stiles began dating during the filming. They broke up in January 2000.
8. According to our accurate sources from IMBD, the table dance scene featuring Stiles, is what led her to get the leading role in Save The Last Dance.
9. The only parent to feature throughout the entire film is that of Kat and Bianca’s
10. Ledger was Stiles first onscreen kiss - awwwww cute!
90’s Heartthrobs and Heartbreakers. Where Are They Now?
Heath Ledger (Patrick Verona)
No one could forget Heath Ledger as the hunky, 20yr old heart-throb, Patrick, in 10 Things. It was his first, big break into the US market and overnight he was Hollywood’s favourite ‘pretty boy’. Choosing to break away from this mold, Ledger chose roles that added more depth to his acting repertoire including, The Patriot, Monster’s Ball and Brokeback Mountain. Before his unfortunate death in 2008, Heath was an acclaimed Producer, Director and Actor and still to this day one of our favourite Aussie actors.
Julia Stiles (Katarina Stratford)
The actress who starred as our favourite angry fem went on to continue working across a range of chick flicks, action films and Oscar winning films. Starring in the likes of Silver Linings Playbook and Jason Bourne, Stiles took time off from the main screen to introduce a new addition to her family.
Joseph Gordon-Levitt (Cameron James)
Who could forget the new guy on campus and all round sweetheart, Cameron, played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Like most rom-coms, Cameron’s dorky demeanour, terrible French and inability to wear anything but a plaid shirt, melted hearts across the globe. Twenty years later, Gordon-Levitt is one of Hollywood’s hottest stars, starring in blockbusters films, Dark Knight Rises, Looper and Lincoln.
Larisa Oleynik (Bianca Stratford)
She made us question the meaning of ‘whelmed’ in 10 things I Hate About You, but the love-to-hate, bratty younger sister, Bianca Stratford, eventually won us over. Now 37 years old, Larisa has starred in a bunch of major TV series and feature in a range of low budget films.
David Krumholtz (Michael Eckman)
Every 90’s teen movie needs it’s token geek and boy did David Krumholtz play the role of nerdy, Michael, to a tee. With his bushy eyebrows, love of middle-aged-working man attire and upbeat attitude, Michael was nothing but annoyingly endearing. Since the film, Krumholtz hasn’t quite shaken his role as a nerd, starring in two hit tv shows Numb3rs and The Newsroom.
Andrew Keegan - Joey Donner
Who could forget Joey Donner’s (played by Andrew Keegan) greased back hair, olive skin and modelesque face. If he wasn’t such a dick in the film, we too would have been lining up for a date with the hunky antagonist. Keegan went on to do...well not much… he has starred in a few productions, theatre plays and voice-over gigs. On the plus side, he is still pretty damn fine to look at.
“I hate the way I don’t hate you. Not even close. Not even a little bit. Not even at all.”
What would a throwback be without reminiscing on all of the great one-liners 10 Things had us repeating over and over again. We think some of these will be making a comeback in 2019.
Last but not least, grab ya Discmans (jks, open up Spotify), pop in your headphones and start blasting these 90’s classics. From the punk-rock tunes of Letters To Cleo, soppy love songs from Sister Hazel and of course the iconic, Can’t Take My Eyes Off You by Andy Williams, this playlist will have you craving a 10 Things I Hate About You movie night by song 3.